Tuesday 4 September 2012

Yorkshirepersons - not all giants

I find it a useful rule of thumb when visiting Yorkshire to work on the basis the weather will be the opposite to that at home. It works almost as well as the same assumption comparing the display on the Android Weather Widget with what is going on outside the window. Having got up to overcast skies, I was not disappointed when I arrived at Huddersfield on my way to Prescot Cables' game away to Ossett Town.

I remember being told in history lessons that in the Industrial Revolution, cotton mills were built in Lancashire because it was damp, so the thread did not snap, and woolen mills were built in Yorkshire because the air was dry, so the thread did not rot. I am not convinced: this was my 7th or 8th visit to Ossett, a town with a fleece on its coat of arms, and was the first time there has been little enough mist on the way to notice the Emley Moor television transmitter 5 miles away across the valley.

I had a senior moment when the match kicked off (having only had a couple in the West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms on the way to the game), heading to a position level with the edge of the goal area, as the sun was shining directly down the pitch. Things looked unfamiliar: Gary Williams and Joe Fielding seemed at closer quarters than usual;
Gary Williams (facing) and Joe Fielding
I could not fathom what James Thomas was doing at the other end of the pitch; and their goalkeeper looked just like Stephen Longrigg.
Stephen Longrigg
As I realised my error, I slipped along the touchline to take up my more usual position. The sun was now behind me, and I could make use of the seats behind the goal to get the lower camera angle that we have looked at before.
Jake Ellis
Looking at last week's results, I spotted a familiar name on Ossett Town's score sheet - David Brown. It is not an uncommon name, but it was indeed the player who has featured a couple of times before in these pages, against Harrogate Railway Athletic and Garforth Town. I do not generally have favourite opposition players, but there are a few I enjoy watching, even when they it is my team they are running rings around.
David Brown
Having suffered individual confusion in the first half, I participated in a collective one in the second. Without the benefit of video replays, it is more common than you may think to be unsure who scored a goal. Prescot equalised 15 minutes into the half with a close range shot that Ossett's goalkeeper was able to ground, but the assistant referee correctly spotted that the ball was over the line. I was unsure who made the shot, and there was a consensus of opinion towards Ged Murphy.

Before sending my pictures to the Liverpool Echo, I checked who had been credited with the goal on the League website, and found it to have been awarded to Jonathon Bathurst. So, this picture, which shows Ged Murphy, did not seem to be of much use, as it appeared not to show the scorer.
Ged Murphy equalises for Prescot
However, there was quite a good reason this was so, as Jon had been substituted at half time. Half time substitutions often miss out on being announced, as I do not think there is the requirement to hold up the number boards as there is with substitions in a break in normal play.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment