Wednesday 14 November 2012

Wakey Wakey

Prescot Cables' trips to Yorkshire for the county's excellent real ales and, hopefully, a point or three, seem to be coming thick and fast. The public houses of Goole, Ossett and Garforth have taken revenue from the small but select band of Cables public transport users. Well, not Garforth, that was just me, and I took my refreshment in Leeds.
The rail travelling supporters watch Luke Edwards take a high ball
Last weekend was the turn of Wakefield, travelling out via Sheffield, where we learnt the Sheffield Tap's ban (I assume on Police advice) on football shirts extends to bar scarves and Cornish rugby union shirts. Fortunately I had a plain t-shirt underneath, and a bag for the offending items. They could have been challenging my right to wear the latter garment: I claim through my grandmother, who I know was born somewhere near the Tamar, but, as she died before I was born, I have never completely established which side.

After this, it was off to Wakefield, and the Bull & Fairhouse, the tap for the Great Heck Brewery, a couple of junctions along the M62. My first pint was chosen for the name.
Well, it would have been rude not to.

Wakefield continue their peripatetic existence, being back at Belle Vue, in the town of their name, if not their foundation. Spectators could access all sides, often not the case when a ground belonging to a larger club in another sport is used for a game at our level.
Jonathon Bathurst - play is overlooked by the bar
The first half presented a lighting challenge - low winter sun, behind three or four terraced streets giving an uneven shadow, and against a reflective bright blue base to the main stand. At this time of year, I try to stand in the sun for some warmth, but this time it was too bright, so I had to wrap up and take to the shade. The things I do for a picture.
Davidson Banda
Access to the toilets was through the bar. This is a problem on a cold day: taking the camera into a warm bar, full of people breathing (I would be less than keen to go in if they were not) is a recipe for condensation, the inside of the lens will steam up like a pair of glasses, but will not clear as quickly, affecting the pictures for the second half, and, in extreme cases, damaging the equipment. I was saved from having to put it in the bag by Jack Webb's father kindly, if nervously, agreeing to hold the camera while I went inside.
Jack Webb
A number of clubs in the lower half of our division, including us, have a better record away than at home. Wakefield are the most extreme, with near play off form away, and yet to gain a point at home. There was a risk this would be reversed when Wakefield scored, but as the second half wore on, they were clearly flagging. I did not capture either of Prescot's goals, although I caught Danny Lambert celebrating his.
Danny Lambert celebrates scoring
I thought the quality of the image may not have been sufficient for print. I think the Echo may have agreed, as they went for one that looks spectacular instead: this shot of a cross by Anthony Shinks.
Anthony Shinks
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment