Friday 21 March 2014

Could not see to take pictures

It is not often I write without pictures, the clue to this blog is in the name. For Dulwich Hamlet's game away to Maidstone United, I had my camera in full working order, the problem was finding a point from which to use it.

I travelled fairly early, and went to Aylesford and its Priory, with a view to a stroll back along the Medway Valley Walk. I tend to underestimate the time it takes to walk anywhere, and this was no exception, by the time I should have been passing through the turnstiles, I was at Allington Lock, power walking past a chap with a guitar on his back. By the time I was in earshot of the stadium, 15 minutes late, I heard a cheer, so I thought I had missed at least one goal, but then I heard music, indicating kick off had been delayed to allow the crowd of 2,296 to get in.

With limited terracing (average crowds are at least twice what they anticipated when planning the stadium), unless you take a position early, all space around the pitch will be taken, in most places a couple of people deep. I do not know if they have plans for capacity enhancement, but they have room at the town end for a substantial terrace with room underneath for the club shop, toilets and catering outlets, currently in mobile structures, which would allow the current metal terracing to be redeployed along the open side.

Not that that was of any use in current circumstances, and, still having a frozen shoulder, I was not going to try holding the camera above my head, so I picked a point where I had a view between heads of the goal we were attacking. I took just one picture, on my phone.
We can see the stand was completely full, and get an idea of the depth of the crowd along the sides. My 2,295 companions (although some thought there were more in the ground than the official figure) had not wasted their time queueing to get in, as we were treated to two good sides trading the lead, three apiece at 90 minutes, the home side clinching a win with an injury time goal. The even surface provided by Maidstone's pristine polyester suited both sides' passing game.

Having watched from the side, I joined other Dulwich supporters behind the goal to applaud the players at the end, which we apparently did for 14 minutes, with some of the stewards congratulating our vocal support. You should see our supporters when we win.

I then spent more time discussing the game with complete strangers than I have done before. I adjourned to the Flower Pot, the nearest Good Beer Guide establishment, for a pint and to read my paper. My pink and blue top was spotted by some Dulwich supporters and four or five Maidstone supporters all saying it was either the best game of the season, or the best since the Gallagher Stadium opened. I was not the only one spending the evening in Maidstone: on my train, three hours later, there were more groups of Dulwich supporters, none of whom I recognised, but all of whom made mention of the game.

Then, to cap it all, in the Wenlock Arms in Hoxton on Sunday, I was having a drink after church, wearing a pink and blue tie (not a club one, just from Marks & Spencer), when I was approached by another stranger who recognised me from the game.

Final score: Maidstone United 4 Dulwich Hamlet 3 (Clunis, Whitnell, Öztümer)

No comments:

Post a Comment