Saturday 3 May 2014

It was nice weather, but I was still under it

"I would not mind if I had been doing anything", I greeted the assembled Train Crew, as I arrived feeling and, I am reliably informed, looking green around the gills. I had eaten something that disagreed with me, and started to feel unwell on the train to Warrington. Going to the game with the pharmacologists is not as much help as you might think, they conduct complex research at the cutting edge of medical science, but have long since forgotten how to knock up an effective remedy from commonly available ingredients.

As the bus service is limited on a Bank Holiday, I checked with Mr Google and his Maps how long it takes to walk from the town centre to Warrington Town (just over half an hour). That would be easier to find out if the address on the location tab of the website were that of the ground, rather than a PO Box at the sorting office. As I was not feeling up to the walk, I was glad there were enough of us to make a taxi worthwhile.

I had hardly taken up position when we went behind - the first proper picture I took was of Phil Bannister taking the kick off.
Phil Bannister
I did not feel up to staying behind the goal for very long. Fortunately, there is a nice shady stand on the side opposite the clubhouse, with seats providing a good low vantage point. I took up position alongside James McCulloch's father, who was looking after water supplies for our side of the pitch.
James McCulloch
End of season games can be an opportunity to try out promising players from the youth team, giving them experience of the first team with a view to assessing them more closely in pre season. I remember first seeing Steven Tames on a wet Tuesday at Skelmersdale and Connor McCarthy in rather better weather in Mossley. Taking his chance in a challenging game was Danny Brooks, who was probably expecting to come on as a second half substitute, but found himself stepping up when Lloyd Balazs was injured after about 10 minutes.
Lloyd Balazs

Danny Brooks
Prescot's goals were supplied by Rob Doran, making the scores level early in the second half, and again after Ben Wharton had again put Warrington ahead.
Rob Doran
Another young player making a substitute appearance was Dan Lowton, who has kept goal in previous games, but was making his first appearance in an outfield position.
Dan Lowton
We finally succumbed to a goal in the 90th minute - one the striker could not repeat if he tried, a shot from a tight angle into the top corner. There was a time when we fell to goals in the last few minutes with depressing regularity: a couple of seasons ago I calculated around Christmas that we would have had about 8 points more if games had been played over 80 minutes rather than 90. That has really improved under Dave Powell: I had to look up when we were last level going in to the last 10 minutes, and went on to lose - the answer was at Mossley in November.

Not that Shaun Reid looked any happier.
Get mobile phone and internet - from EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

As for the upset stomach, I finally got rid of it with some kaolin and calcium carbonate tablets, i,e, clay and chalk - so basically flavoured mud, then.

Final score: Warrington Town 3, Prescot Cables 2 (Doran 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment