Friday 27 March 2015

Quaker oats and milk stout

This weekend saw my second visit of the year to Bishop Auckland. In January, Darlington 1883 had been gung-ho about the likelihood that ice and standing water on the pitch would clear in time for a game. Finding myself at a loose end, I spent an afternoon in Durham, which was very enjoyable, but not the first choice of ways to spend my time and money.

I let the train take the strain for this trip. It is a bit pricey, but I could leave home later than for the coach, be flexible about when to come back, and try beers from an area I do not visit very often. This would not be possible going straight to the ground, which is in the middle of a retail park, with just a couple of dining oriented chain pubs nearby. Travelling via Darlington, I could go to the excellent Quakerhouse, and selected a Storm Porter from Cullercoats Brewery. The pub has swan neck pumps, but with sparklers set loose or not fitted, as the head was the looser southern style, which I prefer, despite many years in the north.

I do not normally keep a camera ready to capture life from the bus, but I could have done with one going through Shildon, passing a chap out walking his horse - a solid looking beast, but a bit small for riding.

Bishop Auckland is so named as it was historically the residence of the Bishops of Durham, although if I were a Prince Bishop, I might have chosen somewhere a bit warmer. Heritage Park catches the wind, and must be a bit bleak with a smaller crowd than Darlington attract. However, there is a view of the local hills.
Danny Flood
There was an encouraging start, with a goal from James Jenkins, which I missed, as my lens's slightly malfunctioning vibration reduction unit vibrated at just the moment he was going for a long distance shot.
James Jenkins
A trip to County Durham would not be complete without a penalty, and, once again, Ben Morrow came up with the goods. I would like to have included a picture of the save in the set I sent to the paper, but, although everyone starts from a fixed position, it is not always easy to get an unobstructed view from the other end of the pitch.
Unfortunately, the hosts were soon level again from a corner. Darlington's ruthless interceptions meant we were largely encamped in our own half, with their going ahead just before half time.

Changing end for the second half, I was now in the wind, out of the shelter of the main stand, but was rewarded with more play in the opposition's half.
Jonah O'Reilly
We were not able to prevent two more goals, but kept pressing, and were rewarded with a penalty in the second to last minute, taken by James Gardener.
James Gardener
Their goalkeeper did not seem too keen to release the ball for the restart of play.
James McCulloch attempts to retrieve the ball for the kick off
Both teams are in tight races, Darlington at the top of the table, and ourselves to avoid relegation, so goal difference could be useful to both of us.

I remember in the seventies and eighties, before I started watching football live, when the first results appeared on television at 4.42. Time is more generously added for stoppages today, so I found myself hurrying for a bus stopping two minutes' walk away at 4.57.

I declined the offer of a lift back on the coach, as I remembered a couple of beers worth a try back in the Quakerhouse. When I got there, they had brought on Marshmallow Milk Stout from the Irwell Works Brewery. It is a style I have not tried, and might have expected to find nearer to home, as the brewery is in Ramsbottom. I am not keen on milk as a drink, a legacy from school for those over 45, but I like most milk products - cream, cheese, yogurt, even evaporated milk, so I wondered whether the beer would be more like the former or the latter. I am still not entirely sure, the well roasted malt was most tasty, but there was enough of lactose to give that slight milk texture.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Darlington 1883 4 Prescot Cables 2 (Jenkins, Gardiner pen).

No comments:

Post a Comment