Thursday 26 May 2016

Playing off

A few years ago, on a trip to Italy, our group were surprised, at Pisa's ground on a midweek afternoon in late May, to find a match. As far as we could work out, this was a post season friendly. Prescot Cables had one such at New Mills last weekend, filming for an advert, followed by a hog roast for the players. I am not sure about the latter's attraction for spectators, not only can you watch the team play, you can watch them eat too. I was tempted, but the noon kick off was a deterrent.

I therefore left them to it, and headed for the North West Counties League Division 1 play off between Barnton and Bacup Borough. The visitors have returned to their original name after experimenting with Bacup of Rossendale Borough for reasons I never understood, but which seemed to have something to do with a witch. At least, I think that is what their local paper said.

I arrived at Lime Street Station to find Paul from the Train Crew had the same idea, but our train to Warrington would be late enough to miss the bus. Not that we worked that out from the departures board, where it was shown as on time, but the incoming stock was arriving after it was due to depart. Richie, our leader in beer and pub choices, was to join us in Warrington, so a quick call confirmed that his wife, Sharon, was happy to drive us in return for lunch, which we enjoyed at the Holly Bush, off the A49.

In Barnton, we adjourned to the Cricket Club, only to find they open the bar at 1pm only in the football season, waiting until 4pm once the cricket is under way. To be fair, almost everyone in the ground looked to be playing, and keeping a pint at square leg is not as popular as it used to be. Inter sport co-operation in Barnton had slipped, as a fair proportion of the 549 people at the football may have enjoyed the range of ales not available elsewhere.

Barnton has a fairly basic ground, with a small stand and a covered standing area opposite, although I believe they are adding a couple of modular stands over the summer. My preferred position would have been towards the bottom of the slope on the dugout side, but this was fenced off due to not having hard standing, so I stood on the opposite side. Once it became apparent the crowd was sensibly occupying the area anyway, I was already settled.

For the second week in succession, I was watching black and white versus yellow and blue.
The sun was frequently permitting "the base contagious clouds to cover up his beauty from the world" (I would have been able to take up Newcastle Benfield's offer of free entry on recital of a Shakespeare speech a couple of weeks previously), although not so much "being wanted he may be more wondered at", more playing havoc with my exposures and the temperature.
Former Prescot Cables players were represented, with Barnton's Richie Mottram ...
... and Joe Fielding.
I see a lot of headers (which, given the way the SLR camera works, means I miss the best photos). However, my timing has worked here, and the shape of the ball looks quite alarming.

I am not sure where the referee was telling the players to position themselves.
Barnton had the best of the play in the first half, but never looked like scoring, despite the advantage of the slope. They still dominated in the second half, but we wondered by the end if it was possible to skip extra time on the grounds no-one looked like scoring however long they had. I was glad we had come by car, as the last bus to Warrington was not long after normal time: extra time would have meant a bus via Northwich, and penalties would have got me home at about 10pm.

For the last 30 minutes, I went behind the goal at the bottom of the slope, and experimented with looking through the net. You want a hint of net ...
... but too much can make the picture look cloudy.
The hosts defied my prediction, and scored twice to secure promotion in line with their league form.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Barnton 2 Bacup Borough 0

No comments:

Post a Comment