Monday 25 July 2016

I knew not whether I was in England or Wales

Having been thwarted in my attempt to start my season the previous week, I decided my football should include a proper day out. FC Oswestry Town, another new club in the North West Counties League, fitted the bill, and a 5pm kick off gave me time to potter around taking more general pictures. I started in Shrewsbury: in England with Welsh police cars outside the station. I did not make it to the town of Oswestry: on a humid day I elected for air conditioning, a cold, non-alcoholic drink and some carbs in one of Messrs Costa's more historic establishments before catching the bus.
Once on board, I followed the stops on Herr Arriva's tracker, which kept up well - I find it is two or three stops behind the bus in the city. At least it worked when connected to Mr EE's signal, present at least in the parts where a few people live. I rang the bell just after the stop before mine: unfortunately the driver thought I had missed my stop and helpfully pulled up straight away. Not having consulted Mr Google's Street View, I did not realise I was a good few hundred yards short of where I wanted to be.

I therefore arrived a few minutes late, and followed the sign to the turnstiles to find them closed. The club may in any event have been admitting spectators through the clubhouse. There was a gate open, so I went in. I found a neat ground with a 3G pitch, two blocks of seating and a large clubhouse with a balcony. Oh, and the most substantial dugouts I have seen, even if they incorporate a camera gantry.
I stood in the shadow of the clubhouse to assess the light and cool down after my longer than anticipated walk. As I have no connection to either club, it was not going to be a problem if I did not catch the whole game. Once I was ready, about 25 minutes in, I took up position by the side of the pitch, more towards the end the visitors were attacking.
The score was 1-1 when I arrived, and, having no proprietorial interest in the outcome, I failed to record the order of the goals in what transpired to be a free scoring game.

Oswestry is close to the Welsh border, one of the few towns in England that also has a Welsh name (Croesoswallt) on Ordnance Survey maps. The visitors clearly identified which end of the ground was nearer to Wales.
At half time, I went in to the clubhouse. The signs were a little confusing, telling spectators that toilet and bar facilities were available upstairs in the Venue (the name of the bar and function room), but not adjacent to any stairs that lead there, apart from one flight at the end of the building with a large sign indicating the corporate hospitality entrance. I took the risk of offending the cream of Oswestry's business community, went upstairs, and found myself in the main bar.
Back outside for the second half, a club official, who was multitasking as the tannoy announcer, match secretary and fourth official, asked if I needed a team sheet. I said it would be handy, expecting a photocopy or one he could hold up for me to photograph, taking only a moment of his time. When he started what looked likely to be an extended rummage through his papers I quickly assured him it was not essential.
The hosts had the better of the second half, running out 4-3 winners, and, judging by the retweets, the clubs were happy with the pictures. Having seen a couple of the clubs expanding the North West Counties League to its full complement, I am sure they will provide good competition, and bring some excellent facilities into the league.

Whilst bus routes from Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Gobowen pass near the ground, services run down from 6pm, so I had half hour's walk on a pleasant evening to the train at Gobowen. I had to check the map to confirm this village is in England: Wikipedia gives us a couple of Welsh derivations for its name, one from a pillow used by Owain Glyndŵr, and another from a mine owned by someone else called Owen.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here,

Final score: FC Oswestry Town 4 CPD Porthmadog 3

No comments:

Post a Comment