Monday 2 January 2017

The 63 derby

Due to Boxing Day's limited public transport, I was unable to attend Prescot Cables' game at Bamber Bridge, so I went to a local game instead. Bootle v AFC Liverpool looked easy enough to get to, with Merseyrail running a service.

It has become common to refer to derby games by a mode of transport that connects the clubs. There is a bus between today's opponents, which I discovered earlier in the season watching Bootle play Barnton. In a senior moment, thought AFC Liverpool were playing, and turned up to find College Road unexpectedly dark. Fortunately, Traveline suggested the 63, just as one hove into view, so I only missed the first few minutes. Not that it would have helped on this occasion, as it was participating in the Boxing Day transport obliteration, but I would have been able to watch Marine, in the M58 derby against Skelmersdale United.

I had not planned to take pictures, but as it was the first bright, clear match day for over a month, I decided to treat myself to some decent light.
Jack Leamey
I met Dr James getting off the train: as the walk was a couple of minutes longer than we needed to be on time, we missed AFC Liverpool's first goal. I noticed when it was 3pm, and heard a cheer about half a minute later. As the golden goal competition had 4 minutes, the referee had started early.

When names matter for captions, I like to get a quick picture to match boots and haircuts to numbers. I often say I have trouble recognising players when they have had their hair cut, and, positioning myself at the Dodge Kop end Bootle were attacking, I did not spot the hosts' goal was being kept by a friend of these pages, Ben Morrow.
Ben Morrow
The visitors kept up the pressure, scoring a few minutes before half time to add to the goal we had missed on the way.
Emini Adegbenro
The second half looked to be going the same way, but after AFC Liverpool's third goal, Bootle made two substitutions and changed formation. This was almost immediately effective, with two goals in the next ten minutes.

Although the sun had set, there was still some natural light to assist the floodlights.
Josh Hamilton
Time looked to be ebbing away for the hosts to claim a result until Jack McGowan made the scores level with five minutes of normal time to go. With the momentum now firmly with the home side, the visitors were keen to run down the clock, and the home bench keen to ensure that all stoppages were added. Ryan Cox finally secured the result near the end of injury time.
Ryan Cox
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Bootle 4 AFC Liverpool 3

No comments:

Post a Comment