Tuesday 16 May 2017

Inspecting the neighbours' silverware

In 2003 I watched Prescot Cables win the North West Counties League in our final game of the season at Atherton Collieries. The trophy was not there, as its destination was be decided on the day, so was presumably waiting in a vehicle in the Worsley area, ready to set off for Prescot or Mossley once results were in. Team and trophy were on the way home for the presentation before I was even at the station. Fourteen years later I returned to Atherton to rectify my omission, as our hosts on that day had won the League in midweek, and would parade the trophy at their final game of the season against Runcorn Town.

With step three and four leagues having finished apart from the playoff finals, a number of lenses were trained on this game. I felt more than a bit guilty that I did not recognise resident snapper Rob, with whom I had spent an afternoon in Styal in pre season. I took up position at the bottom of the slope, behind the goal the hosts were attacking.
Former Cables goalkeeper Adam Reid has established his position at Collieries over the last couple of seasons.
The hosts had the better of the first half. Towards the end I made my way round towards the clubhouse, tackling the slope side on.
For the second half, I went back to the same end.
It was nearly half an hour into the half before anyone scored, with the hosts going with league advantage and a goal from Jordan Cover.

The visitors looked determined to make a game of it, and, by the time I had changed ends to be in the right place for the presentations, scored two goals in quick succession a couple of minutes from time, leading to enthusiastic celebrations from their supporters. I wondered what this was all aboot (I speak some Canadian), until I looked at the league table and saw that the result meant that whatever happened at Runcorn Linnets' game, Town would finish above them. End of season fixtures are often not as meaningless as you might think.
You may think the gentleman in the crowd is dressed as a hot dog, but there was discussion when I was nearby as to whether it was a hamburger. With all the nasty things happening in the world, it is a happier place when people dress as bread and meat based comestibles for an end of season trip to the league champions.

I remember reading somewhere some speculation as to whether you could buy throwing champagne, made to a lower standard than stuff you intend to drink. Either way, having already won the trophy means you can plan in advance and get some in, without having to hope the opposition buy it off you at the final whistle if things go wrong.
The lid makes a bid for freedom ...
... as the champagne starts to flow
Most of the other photographers went on to the pitch for pictures of the team, the trophy and the medal presentations, but I stayed behind the perimeter to get a slightly different angle and capture the photographers at work.
Rob gets his picture
There are of course others who, when the team wins and everyone starts jumping up and down, have to keep calm, as there is a job to be done.
Gibbo looks after the medals
Finally, as I was about to leave the hosts to enjoy their party, I was able to take a decent look at the cup (the old Lancashire Combination trophy), as I stopped to compare notes on the season with former Cables coach and Collieries Assistant Manager Warren Jones, who was looking after it.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Atherton Collieries 1 Runcorn Town 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment