Wednesday 18 April 2018

Greyscale

When I was about ten I attended a children's exhibition at Alexandra Palace in London. At one stall you could make your own abstract painting, squeezing some paint on to paper that was spun on a turntable and came out with abstract patterns. I have never had strong fingers, and was concerned I had not applied much paint, but it came out well, with distinct blocks of colour, whereas other children, who had used much more paint, ended up with it all merging into a monochrome blob.

I wondered whether the designer of Kendal Town's kit for their visit to Prescot Cables used a similar process, putting the black and white of their home kit on the turntable and ending up with mid grey. They had a thought for those wearing replica shirts walking or cycling on rural roads by including fluorescent numbers and advertising, ensuring they were visible at night.
Sam Staunton-Turner
I had missed a couple of games, Easter commitments meaning I was unable to travel to South Shields, and the weather enforced change of date at Colwyn Bay clashing with other arrangements. I wondered whether we might need to squeeze this fixture into a rapidly closing window, as it had rained heavily in the morning. A declared crowd of 146 suggested many people came to the same conclusion and stayed indoors to watch Liverpool in European action, and the number who looked to be present suggested that included a few season ticket holders. However, whilst the area around the tunnel was predictably soft, the Gasworks Side was surprisingly firm. The linesmen were on the opposite sides to the usual arrangement: I thought his might be because of the weather, but I think the referee, Mr Buxton, may just prefer that arrangement.

We had matching goalkeepers, which strictly speaking you are not supposed to, but I have never seen both get close enough, even when one goes up for a last minute corner, to make it an issue.
Ben Barnes
Matthew Johnson
Given that, whilst were still in some sort of daylight, the colour of the sky matched the visitors' kit without the bright bits, I knew the light would play havoc with my exposures. There is not much you cannot fix, but it means processing all the images, including the raw conversion, manually.
Reece McNally
This was my first opportunity to see recent signing Morgan Homson-Smith in action.
Morgan Homson-Smith
I occasionally practice rolling into a ball if it looks as though I am about to be between a player and the pitch perimeter, mainly to protect the camera, but also to make sure the player does not collide at full speed with a protruding piece of hard plastic. I thought for a moment I might need to put it into action.
Harry Cain
MJ Monaghan added to the tally of goals he has scored since joining us a few weeks ago.
MJ Monaghan avoids the defender ...
... and the goalkeeper ...
... and celebrates his goal.
The light in the second half was easier to work with, being standard floodlights, and the underlying grey of Kendal's kit was more reflective than I was expecting.
James Edgar
Chris Almond made the result sure with a couple of minutes to go.
Chris Almond
Club Secretary Dan Roberts was celebrating his birthday, so was called upon to present the Man of the Match award to Joe Herbert.
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Prescot Cables 2 (Monaghan, Almond) Kendal Town 0

No comments:

Post a Comment