Saturday 7 November 2015

Disappearing pictures

I posted an unusually small collection of photos for Prescot Cables' game at home to AFC Liverpool in the Liverpool Senior Cup. Two thirds of the way through the game my two week old SD card stopped working, taking my photos up to that point with it.

The disappearing photos included our match ball sponsor enjoying his hospitality. We do not usually take pictures of the sponsors, but this was a bright chap aged about 10 called David. As he was prepared to spend what I assume was his birthday cash or something similar, and bring four paying adults with him, he got a few more goodies than usual, including a pair of gloves from Marcus Burgess. I wondered whether I would have been able to pay for a sponsorship when I was 10, but the equivalent of the current £50 was only £8.99 in 1978.

I took my usual position on the gasworks side, and started snapping away. The visitors were playing in purple, a kit colour I do not encounter very often, and which turns out blue on photos.

Despite losing the pictures up to about half way through the second half, I was able to to try what I wanted with the remaining images, mainly trying to get the AFC Liverpool kit to come out in its natural purple. I tried different combinations of lighting temperature (blue / yellow) and tint (green / magenta), and found the combination that made the visitors' shirts come out in the right colour made the players close to the orange of our shirts.
A purple AFC Liverpool kit - and orange everything else
Rob Doran in more natural colours, and the AFC Liverpool kit looking blue
There was a gentleman also taking photographs with a decent looking kit, who I thought was with the visitors, as he was behind the goal they were attacking in the first half, and was more towards their end in the second. This may not have been the case: when I posted my collection online, AFC Liverpool asked to use a picture to illustrate the match report on their website.
Joe Nicholson
Both sides had their chances, but the game looked to be heading to penalties, until Lloyd Dean was brought on, and almost immediately made an impact with two goals in as many minutes putting us through to the quarter finals. It is the advantage of this competition, the small size of the County FA makes for a small number of rounds.

Connor Grainger, stepping up from the youth team, made a first start, having come on from the bench in a previous game.
Connor Grainger
We also saw five minutes from Josh Donnelly, who showed promise in pre season, but who has not been able to play in the season so far.
Josh Donnelly
After the game, I was able to catch David and replace the missing picture with one by the pitch and one with Andy Paxton for him and his family.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Prescot Cables 2 (Dean 2) AFC Liverpool 0

No comments:

Post a Comment