Wednesday 4 November 2015

The special soup

For Prescot Cables' visit to Glossop North End, engineering works halved the train service between Liverpool and Manchester. Having experienced the same the previous week, I travelled on the team coach. I thought of frequenting the Star opposite the station, but everybody else went into the ground, so I joined them and had a pint of Howard Town Longdendale Light in the clubhouse. One table was laid with tablecloths and place settings, presumably for sponsors, although the quality of the Mettrick's pies meant they were eating the same as us, just with plates, knives and forks. When I had finished my pint, I bought a lamb and mint pasty, and went to watch the players warming up.

One reason I took the coach was that the weather did not look pleasant for a pre match walk, but it gave me the opportunity to try my technical changes in a variety of conditions. We started playing towards the clubhouse when the rain had only just stopped and the sky was still dark. This is the first time I have had to switch to shutter priority mode (at 1/320s) during the afternoon this season.
Joe Herbert
It was, however, as my mother used to say, referring to clearer sky in the distance, a bit lighter over Bill's mother's. I never understood this phrase, being unclear who Bill was, and his mother never seemed to live in the same place. It was bright on the field, with another early goal from Lloyd Dean.

Match action seemed to be in midfield so I moved next to the dugouts. By this time the sun was coming out, so I went back to the sports mode on the camera.
Antony Shinks
The hosts equalised through Jamie Rainford on the half hour.

Surrey Street is a picturesque addition to our division, with fine views in most directions. There is also a reminder of the town's industrial heritage / blot on the landscape (delete according to preference) in the shape of a large chimney, no longer in operation, which no-one has been able to afford to dismantle, but which provides a handy landmark.
For the second half I followed the the same pattern as the first, starting behind the goal we were attacking...
Shane Glean
... and quickly moving towards the half way line. There was some heavy rain, then the sun broke through the clouds which gave some good effects.
George Mannion
The trees cast some irregular shadows: raw format let me deal with these much more effectively than I would have been able with jpegs.
James Edgar
A slightly lucky goal about 15 minutes from time handed all the points to Glossop.

Most clubs close their tea bar after half time, as there is little demand after this. However, clubs are obliged to provide hot food for the players and match officials after the game, so Glossop also keep the hatch open after the game.
Whilst one tends to be wary about "special stuff" in these parts, I can confirm this was a most tasty pea soup.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen here.

Final score: Glossop North End 2 Prescot Cables 1 (Dean).

No comments:

Post a Comment