Tuesday 12 September 2017

A clean sheet at Trafford

Despite a respectable performance over the bank holiday weekend, I was apprehensive about Prescot Cables' visit to Trafford, with good reason, as we had shipped more goals than I care to remember on our last two visits. Arriving in good time, I was still unsure of the precise etiquette for admission to the side of the pitch, so in the end I popped my high vis on, and wandered out onto the pristine turf just before the teams came out of the dressing room, with a vague general air that I knew what I was doing.

Shawe View has a wide border between the pitch and the perimeter fence, so I took up a position near the corner flag. A lot of photographers working pitchside have a stool, but as I have only just started, and want to keep cost and weight to a minimum, my seating arrangement of choice is a simple polyethylene cushion pad, £3.99 from the camping section at Clas Ohlson.
Lloyd Dean
When propping yourself up against the fence, always keep an eye out for what may be balanced on top.
The sun was shining, but I was in the shade of the fence so I did not have any distracting light from the side.
Louis Coyne
As at Tadcaster the previous week, we avoided conceding in the first half, and were not without opportunities to score. Our first goal, a good one from both playing and photographic perspectives, came from Jordan Southworth.
Jordan Southworth traps the ball ...
... shoots ...
... and celebrates his goal
Next to present a photographic challenge was a penalty for the hosts at what was probably a key moment a couple of minutes later. Marcus Burgess pulled off a save to maintain our advantage and the confidence that comes from going ahead. I often use the "a goal is a goal" principle to let a picture that does not quite meet quality control through the net - I also have a lesser used principle  of "a penalty save is a penalty save" for when I do not catch fingers and ball in actual contact.
It is a save - honest.
We had one new starter.
Aaron Turner
Tunde Owolabi came on a few minutes from time and looked dangerous, so much so that he was almost immediately fouled just inside the penalty area.
Tunde Owolabi
Realising that a lack of spectators in the way on my side of the barrier meant I could move to a better position for the penalty (ensuring I did not distract Jordan Wynne as he prepared to  take it), I moved closer to the goal.
Jordan Wynne scores from the spot
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Trafford 0 Prescot Cables 2 (Southworth, Wynne pen)

No comments:

Post a Comment