Wednesday 20 September 2017

Think of a title

One particular memory I have of creative writing at primary school is that, when the teacher did not supply a title, I would have an idea of what to write, but was staring at the paper wondering what to put on the first line. I was in a similar situation starting this blog, and was prompted to this anecdote, as one of the first people I saw arriving for Prescot Cables' game at home to Atherton Collieries was my friend Gibbo, who has just started work as a teacher at his old primary school. He had been landed with match secretary duties, and confided that being with us would leave him short of time to prepare a maths lesson, but a new ground was a new ground. It is doing your bit to make sure the children do not grow up thinking football is a television programme. 

We were part of a crowd of 281, a big improvement in the last couple of years, it was not long ago that three figures for a midweek game was far from guaranteed. We were expecting a stiff challenge, with the visitors having made a strong start to their first season in this league.

Sunset at this time of year is just after 8 pm, do I took up position on the pitch side of the barrier at the Safari Park End, taking advantage of the last few minutes of the golden hour.
Jordan Southworth
As I was in my formative years in 1986, light blue and white vertical stripes are not my favourite combination (I remember it in those colours even though Argentina wore their away kit), but have the advantage of being reflective.
Jordan Wynne
After a few minutes, I moved to the side, and was there for Joey Faux to open the scoring. I was late to the goal, but caught the celebrations.
Joey Faux celebrates his goal ...
... and Rod supplies musical accompaniment
Half an hour in to the game, the sun was below the trees, and the floodlights were the dominant source of light. I moved behind the barrier, and to the Gasworks Side, where I found Jonah O'Reilly, currently playing for Congleton Town, and his father.

Shortly after I arrived, the visitors levelled the scores with a penalty. Dominic Marie quickly restored our advantage. I was late to the goal, but captured the celebrations.
Dominic Marie celebrates his goal
Joe Herbert made it three a couple of minutes later. I was late ... well you can see the pattern.
Joe Herbert
For the second half, I opted for the pre set sports mode, with ISO set to 12800, and let the shutter speed take care of itself. You can get away with 1/160s if the players are moving in the right direction.
James McCulloch
I bumped into the father of Atherton and former Cables goalkeeper Adam Reid on my way round the ground, and he reminisced about my photos from Adam's days with us. I was able to oblige on this occasion.
Adam Reid saves from Lloyd Dean
With no score in the second half, we took what for many of us was an unexpected three points to continue our much improved performance after our FA Cup exit.

After the game we presented the Player of the Month award, sponsored this year by Poco Coffee, official suppliers to yours truly when I have to get to the ground early and need more caffeine than is available from the tea bar.
Andy Scarisbrick collects his award
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Prescot Cables 3 (Faux, Marie, Herbert) Atherton Collieries 0

No comments:

Post a Comment