Tuesday 26 September 2017

Not quite so lucky blue

Over the years I have been watching Prescot Cables, the away kit has generally alternated between red and blue. We have recently taken delivery of a smart new all blue kit - and if you have one block colour, blue is the least problematic according to the FA guidance on colour blindness in football, red having a tendency to clash with the opposition or merge into the pitch for about 6% of your potential audience. We also wore the blue kit winning at Tadcaster and Trafford, so it was starting to look lucky - football people are a superstitious bunch.

With illness, work and other commitments, we have not mustered much of a turnout for our Train Crew over the last few months, but we gathered a reasonable number for our trip to Mossley, assembling in the Station Buffet at Stalybridge and the Fleece at Mossley. After the latter, some of our party also tried another pub, whose name escapes me, but I stayed put as it sounded like an establishment for the less discerning drinker.

Still being unaware of the precise etiquette for going pitchside, I went for a repeat of putting on my high vis and wandering through the gate looking as though I knew what I was doing, chatting to goalkeeping coach Garry Williams as I did so. He was hoping for some shots of the bench. I was able to oblige.
Louis Coyne watches Garry Williams demonstrate his ball skills
There had been heavy showers earlier in the day. As I walked round the pitch, there was a definite squelch from the part worn down by the linesmen, but the playing surface looked firm. I took up position in front of the wall at the Yorkshire end.
Yours truly in position - photo by Richie Brown
There was another heavy shower just after kick off. I caught a couple of shots managing not to noise reduce out the rain.
Baba Conteh
It stopped raining after about 10 minutes, so I was able to remove the wet weather gear, uncomfortably warm in mild weather, from both myself and the camera.

My position gives a good view of the dark arts of defending at set pieces.
Dominic Marie
We rarely do well visiting Mossley, and normal service was maintained when the hosts scored after 25 minutes.

For the second half I took up a similar position at the Lancashire end. In this location, the wall is low enough that I could probably sit behind it and gain the same effect. Our goal continued to be kept busy.
Marcus Burgess
The hosts make their win secure with a goal after 75 minutes.

Near the end of the game, an elderly home supporter took advantage of the low wall to engage me in conversation, asking where I display my photos as he was looking forward to one of their second goal. He asked how many I normally put online, and, when I replied it was usually 60 or 70, about 10% of what I take, he wondered if I include goals we concede. Hearing that I generally do not, he departed with an air of satisfaction at seeing a win mixed with resignation that he would not have a visual reminder.

Despite some aerobatics ...
Harry Cain
Alan Burton
... we were unable to make a reply.

This was the first time I have been pitchside in damp weather. I was therefore more than a little stiff for the walk down the hill to the Britannia Inn and the station.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Mossley 2 Prescot Cables 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment