Wednesday 3 January 2018

Millennial

In the Liverpool Senior Cup, if a tie is postponed twice, the club drawn away has the option to play the game at their ground, and for our first round tie against Bootle, we exercised it.

The week before the game saw our Chairman, Tony Zeverona, announce his resignation after twelve years in the post. Tony took the helm when we became supporter owned after our former owner withdrew his support in 2005, and has guided us through a fair few difficult moments since then. The job involves a lot of work most people do not see, often missing a fair bit of the football, and not many people want to do it for ever. This is probably a good time to look for a successor, with the results of many years' work bearing fruit in the league, better attendances than for many years, and some silverware. Tony's resignation also came just after he achieved national fame in the pages of When Saturday Comes magazine, illustrated by a rather decent photo, even if I say so myself.
I found dealing with WSC most straightforward, they asked to use the picture (and some well known publications do not), offered a fee and paid it with commendable efficiency.

Turning to the game, although I was standing next to Ben Barnes (I say "next to", it was more in his shadow) when he confirmed that he was not cup tied, I am not sure he had enough appearances to be eligible. Reserve team keeper Jack Morton therefore became our eighth first team keeper of the season.
Jack Morton
We have not had many evening games this season, so I have not had much opportunity to experiment with settings. At the moment I am using centre weighted metering, getting more consistent results than matrix metering. I have gone back to processing the raw files manually, lowering the black until it almost loses definition, which works well for the sky.
Josef Faux returns from injury
As there was no rain, I took the filter off the lens. However, the first divot flying in my direction reminded me water is not the only thing I would rather be cleaning off a filter, so I rapidly replaced it.

Jordan Southworth opened the scoring after ten minutes.
Joe Herbert congratulates Jordan Southworth
I swapped sides half way through - I had been reluctant to do this as it means sitting behind the assistant referee, but there is more than enough run off by the side of the pitch to mean I am not impeding his progress.
Valter Fernandes
The visitors were depleted by injuries, but put up a good performance, and would have been disappointed not to have levelled the scores before half time.

Five minutes into the second half, Jordan Wynne increased our lead.
Baba Conteh congratulates Jordan Wynne
Lloyd Dean was next to score ...
Lloyd Dean
... followed by a second from Jordan Wynne a few minutes later.

Fixtures like this are a good opportunity to introduce players coming through from the Youth team, and we saw debuts from Matthew Kewn and Dominic Murphy. Capturing players, particularly substitutes, at evening games has an element of luck, and I did not capture Matthew. However, in the 90th minute, Joe Herbert had a shot saved, for the rebound to fall to Dominic, who did not err in putting it away.
Dominic Murphy (15) shoots for goal
When I published the photos, I acquired a new follower on Twitter. The 00 on the end of Dominic's handle tells me this was our first goal scored by someone born in 2000. It is enough to make you feel old.

Despite the score, this was not a classic performance. The Man of the Match award went to Jordan Wynne, who, in an illustration of the quest for quality in the team, felt he had not had a good performance, despite his two goals.

The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Prescot Cables 5 (Southworth, Wynne 2, Dean, Murphy) Bootle 0

No comments:

Post a Comment