Thursday 11 January 2018

The right stop

I have been to Ossett on so many occasions, I can now travel on autopilot. I can even afford to be vague as to which club we are playing: if I find our coach parked outside Ossett Town, opposite the bus station, it is time to get off, whereas if it is not, I need to stay on for a couple more stops to Albion.

I had seen the team sheet online, and a few of us were surprised Lloyd Dean was on the bench. However, we have just assembled not just a team that plays well together, but a squad can do so in a surprising number of permutations, allowing us to take full advantage to rotate players. Unusually for this level, this also applies in goal, with Ben Barnes having performed well whilst Marcus Burgess was injured, and Marcus was able to return whilst Ben was on holiday.
Marcus Burgess
I have remarked before on the microclimate affecting Ingfield, being a couple of degrees colder than the town. Our video analyst Josh remarked that it was a bit cold, but he says that in places I think have been positively balmy for the time of year. I have noticed since working pitchside, that the perimeter fence often provides a convenient windbreak, an advantage he does not have, being often above the protection even of the ground perimeter.

I was not keen on the width (or lack of it) of the run off behind the goal, so I took up position by the side of the pitch. The ground has a slight slope, and falls away sharply behind one end, so you get plenty of shots against the sky. Add that this was the earliest sunset of the year for us (it had been getting later for a week, but we were further east than the previous week), throw in a sky that political journalist and Dulwich Hamlet supporter Conor Pope once described as "England Euro 96 away shirt grey", and there were some good contrasts.
James Edgar
I was only just settled in my place when James Edgar opened the scoring. I had better luck capturing the shot when Josh Klein-Davies added a second.
Josh Klein-Davies lines up his shot
Chris Almond ensured we had a healthy three goal lead at half time.
Chris Almond
At half time I did a quick photoshoot for Josh, who wanted a picture for the cover of his university coursework. With people doing things like working a camera, it is considerably easier to take a picture of them pretending to do so in a controlled situation rather than trying to catch them doing so in the wild.

For the second half, I went to the bottom of the hill, and found a similar issue with the width of the run off, so I settled for the side again. I was barely in position before James Edgar opened the scoring for the half. More or less my first shot was the celebration.
I had operated for most of the first half on shutter priority, as the sports mode was giving me too slow a speed, and left the metering in spot mode from the previous game. For this half the floodlights came fully into play, so I tried centre weighted, before settling on matrix (which is also used by the sports mode). The lights at Ossett are quite bright and white so it worked quite well.
Reece Fishwick
Our fifth goal came directly from a free kick from the touchline by Josh Klein Davies, with Chris Almond completing a repeat of the scoring pattern from the first half.

A late substitution also saw Tunde Owolabi return to the team, after short spells at Hyde United and Glossop North End.
Tunde Owolabi
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Ossett Town 0 Prescot Cables 6 (Edgar 2, Klein-Davies 2, Almond 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment