Saturday 6 January 2018

The colour of the shirt

Hyde United's supporters' coach to Prescot Cables had just dropped off its passengers as I arrived for our game. I was sporting my pink and blue striped rugby-style shirt - as I never get to London to watch Dulwich Hamlet these days, I have to get wear out of it somehow. To be fair, I should not wear it with my waxed jacket, the colours clash horribly. Two gentlemen in the queue took issue with my clothing choices, commenting that a man needs to be brave to wear pink. With some people around, you need to be brave to leave space between the ground and your knuckles, but we will let that pass.

The weather had been wet for a few days, with most of the matches in the area being postponed, and our VertiDraining again paying off, as we survived. The inspection is concerned with the bit the players use - the bit I use, where the substitutes warm up, was decidedly squishy.

A couple of visitors were familiar to us. Dominic Marie, who left us for Marine in October, was now settled at Hyde. I did not capture a very good shot of his return, as he was on the bench, and we were into the territory of pot luck catching specific players by the time he came on. David Brown has been popping up all over Yorkshire, usually scoring against us, for as long as I have been writing, and has now found his way to Cheshire (we observe traditional, and County FA, boundaries on these pages).
David Brown
After the last game, where the goal celebrations pictures featured those frequenting the Fence End, one of the Dugout Irregulars light heartedly expressed a little jealousy that they did not seem to feature, so I made sure I got them in.
The Dugout Irregulars watch Reece McNally
We enjoyed a competitive first half, with a couple of good chances, but without a goal. The match report from the visitors provided a fair record.
Harry Cain
A couple of minutes into the second half Lloyd Dean opened the scoring. I was in a good position to capture it.
Lloyd Dean shoots for goal
The League website has the next two scores in the wrong order, as it suggests Thomas Pratt levelled for the visitors before we went ahead again. However, we went two ahead with a goal from Jordan Wynne. I was on the side by this time, and caught the celebration.
As this was the earliest sunset of the year for a home game, I experimented with spot metering, which seemed to give reasonable results.
Baba Conteh
After our second goal, Hyde made some changes, including bringing off our traditional nemesis, David Brown, and replacing him with Dominic Marie.
Ben Barnes denies Dominic Marie
The almost inevitable happened when Dominic brought the visitors level with 15 minutes to go. We defended well for the remaining time to ensure we kept hold of a point.

After the game, I was speaking to Louis Coyne's father, who I had not realised played for Cables under Joe Gibiliru when I started watching in the 1990s. We agreed on the difficulty of getting a good picture of centre backs, as they can have a good game without getting much of the ball if they are closing down the opposition's ability to play, and there are often other players blocking the view anyway. As it happened I had a bit more luck with that than usual in this game.
Louis Coyne lines up a free kick
The rest of the pictures from the game can be seen on the club website here, and on Google Photos here.

Final score: Prescot Cables 2 (Dean, Wynne) Hyde United 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment